- A course at HKU usually has 6 HKU credits (3 credits for broadening courses). A full load is 30 credits for one semester (60 credits for a year) but you might also take a minimum of 24 credits to a maximum of 36 credits each semester, subject to the approval of the Dean/Head of the Department.
- Within each semester's full load of 30 credits, half of them must come from a single faculty. That means you should pick three courses from one faculty while the remainding can be chosen from other faculties.
- All courses, except those offered by the Department of Chinese, are taught in English.
HKU uses the semester system and detailed semester dates can be found at http://www3.hku.hk/adqa/dates-of-semesters.php. Here are some of the highlights:
Please refer to individual faculty websites for course provision and course content:
- School of Chinese - all courses offered by the School of Chinese are taught in either Cantonese or Mandarin
- School of English
- School of Humanities (African Studies / Comparative Literature / Fine Arts / History / Linguistics / Music / Philosophy)
- School of Modern Languages and Cultures (Japanese studies / American Studies / European Studies / Modern China Studies / and other languages studies including Arabic / French / German / Greek / Italian / Japanese / Korean / Portuguese / Spanish / Swedish / Thai)
- Centre of Buddhist Studies
- Courses offered by the Faculty of Business and Economics (FBE) are highly competitive. Students who are in their final year in particular, should note that course enrollment is NOT guaranteed.
- Students who apply to FBE should have a grade level of B average / CGPA 3.0 / Satisfactory level.
- Students should have already completed the course prerequisites before requesting to enroll in courses with pre- requirements Co-registration (e.g taking Microeconomics I and II together in a semester) is not allowed.
- Economics and Finances courses highly emphasize mathematics.
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
Please also refer to Admission Requirements set by the faculty.
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Earth Science
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Physics
- Department of Statistics & Actuarial Science
- School of Biological Sciences
- Courses offered to exchange and visiting students
- Department of Geography
- Department of Politics and Public Administration
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Social Work and Social Administration
- Department of Sociology
- Journalism and Media Studies Centre
Some of our faculties offer summer programmes and welcome international students to enroll. A comprehensive programme list will be announced for the programmes that will be offered in the coming summer. Please go to http://www.hku.hk/summer for details.