- A course at HKU usually has 6 HKU credits (3 credits for broadening courses). A full load is 30 credits for one semester (60 credits for a year) but you might also take a minimum of 24 credits to a maximum of 36 credits each semester, subject to the approval of the Dean/Head of the Department.
- Within each semester's full load of 30 credits, more than half of them must come from one single faculty. That means you should pick three courses from one faculty while the remainding can be chosen from other faculties.
- All courses, except those offered by the Department of Chinese, are taught in English.
HKU uses the semester system and detailed semester dates can be found here
Please refer to individual faculty websites for course provision and course content:
- School of Chinese - all courses offered by the School of Chinese are taught in either Cantonese or Mandarin
- School of English
- School of Humanities (Comparative Literature / Fine Arts / History / Linguistics / Music / Philosophy)
- School of Modern Languages and Cultures (African Studies / Japanese Studies / Korean Studies / American Studies / European Studies / Modern China Studies / Hong Kong Studies / Global Creative Industries / and other languages studies including Arabic / French / German / Greek / Italian / Japanese / Korean / Portuguese / Spanish / Swedish / Thai)
- Centre of Buddhist Studies
- Courses offered by the Faculty of Business and Economics (FBE) are highly competitive. Students who are in their final year in particular, should note that course enrollment is NOT guaranteed.
- Students who apply to FBE should have a grade level of B average / CGPA 3.0 / Satisfactory level.
- Students should have already completed the course prerequisites before requesting to enroll in courses with pre- requirements Co-registration (e.g taking Microeconomics I and II together in a semester) is not allowed.
- Economics and Finances courses highly emphasize mathematics.
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Engineering Programme (Biomedical Engineering)
Generally, the standards for admission for exchange and visiting students are at least upper second-class honours (2:1) results (which converts to approximately a GPA of 3.33).
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Earth Science
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Physics
- Department of Statistics & Actuarial Science
- School of Biological Sciences
- Department of Geography
- Department of Politics and Public Administration
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Social Work and Social Administration
- Department of Sociology
- Journalism and Media Studies Centre
Some of our faculties offer summer programmes and welcome international students to enroll. A comprehensive programme list will be announced for the programmes that will be offered in the coming summer. Please go to http://www.hku.hk/summer for details.