HKU Video Link
Online Undergraduate Prospectus

Programme Information Entrance Requirements Credit Transfer

Dates and Deadlines Fees and Finance Application Forms

Application Status FAQ


Before application

1) What are JUPAS and Non-JUPAS? What are the differences between Non-JUPAS, International Admissions Scheme and the Direct Admissions Scheme (DAS) to Senior Year Places?

JUPAS stands for "Joint University Programmes Admissions System". The scheme is for local secondary school students applying for admission to the full-time or sandwich bachelor's degree and sub-degree programmes offered by the nine participating institutions* in Hong Kong on the strength of their Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) results.  If you are NOT a current student in a local secondary school but wish to apply for admission on the strength of your HKDSE results, you should also make your application through JUPAS.  Applicants are required to complete only one application form to apply to all nine institutions*.

Applicants who wish to apply for admission on qualifications other than HKDSE should submit their applications via the Non-JUPAS Admissions Scheme.  These applicants include those who are currently enrolled in a full-time or sandwich bachelor's degree programme in any of the nine participating institutions* or those applying solely on the strength of the Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination (HKCEE) and Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (HKALE) results.  Under the broad category of non-JUPAS, applicants who require a student visa to study in Hong Kong and with overseas qualifications are considered as international applicants and should apply under the International Admissions Scheme.

The Direct Admissions Scheme to Senior Year Places is for sub-degree (i.e. Associate Degree and Higher Diploma) graduates in Hong Kong to apply for admission to certain programmes which have set aside a fixed number of senior year places for direct entry. Sub-degree holders who are not interested in studying for any of these designated programmes should apply instead through the non-JUPAS Admissions Scheme.

* The following institutions (and The University of Hong Kong) are JUPAS participating institutions:

  • City University of Hong Kong
  • Hong Kong Baptist University
  • Lingnan University
  • The Chinese University of Hong Kong
  • The Hong Kong Institute of Education
  • The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
  • The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
  • The Open University of Hong Kong

2) I am a current student of a bachelor's degree programme at another university. Can I apply for a transfer?

Candidates studying bachelor's degree programmes in Hong Kong or at overseas (except the Mainland China) may apply through the Non-JUPAS / International Admissions Scheme for a transfer and indicate in the application their preference for credit transfer and / or direct entry.  Request for credit transfer will be considered by the Faculty after you have been admitted to the University.  Bachelor’s degree students studying programmes funded by the University Grants Committee (UGC) in local tertiary institutions may wish to note that inter-institutional transfer is generally discouraged unless there are exceptional circumstances and such transfer has been specially approved by the university on the basis of over-enrolment.

Local / non-local candidates attending bachelor's degree programmes in Mainland universities should apply through the scheme "Admission of Undergraduate Students from the Mainland" coordinated by the University’s China Affairs Office.

3) Can I apply JUPAS, Non-JUPAS, Direct Admissions Scheme to Senior Year Places, International Admissions Scheme and Admission of Undergraduate Students from the Mainland at the same time?

Applicants can only submit one application through any one of the five schemes in the same admission year. Duplicate applications under a particular admissions scheme or across different admissions schemes will not be considered by the University and application fees paid are non-refundable.

4) Can I apply with Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination (HKCEE) and Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (HKALE) results via non-JUPAS?

Applicants with HKCEE and HKALE results only should apply via the non-JUPAS admissions exercise. 

5) Where can I obtain a copy of the Undergraduate Prospectus?

The Undergraduate Prospectus is available online during the admission exercise.

6) What is the medium of instruction?

The University's medium of instruction is English. Written work and examinations are normally completed in English. The only exceptions are foreign language courses and courses in which Chinese language must be used as a means of communication e.g. courses in Chinese Medicine.

The importance of English language proficiency cannot be overemphasized for students who wish to take full advantage of their time in the University.

7) How much does it cost for the composition fee and general living expenses?

The composition fee for the academic year 2013-2014 is HK$42,100 (approximately US$5,400) for local students.  The Government has not yet advised on the fee for local students in 2014-2015 but the University does not expect any significant change in the fee level.

As for non-local students, the composition fee for the 2014-2015 intake is HK$135,000 (approximately US$17,310) per year.

General expenses in Hong Kong cost around HK$83,000 (US$10,641) for one year, excluding the composition fee.

8) What are the entrance requirements for Non-JUPAS / International applicants?

Please visit the Non-JUPAS Entrance Requirements section for the University's General Academic, English, and Second Language Requirements. Qualifications which are not listed will be considered based on individual merits.

Some of our programmes have specific programme requirements in addition to the basic entrance requirements. Please refer to Appendix II of Undergraduate Prospectus for further details. The programme specific requirements are for local applicants applying on the strength of the HKDSE results, non-JUPAS / international applicants are required to satisfy the programme requirement(s) with equivalent overseas qualifications.  Applicants applying solely on the basis of their HKCEE and HKALE results should click here for the specific programme requirements. You may consult the Faculty concerned for more details.

9) What is the Fast-track admission route?

Fast-track admission is available to applicants under the Non-JUPAS / International Admissions Scheme. You may consider fast-track admission if you have obtained especially good academic results / other achievements or have placed HKU as your first choice. The deadline for fast-track admission is November 15, 2013 (23:59 Hong Kong Time).

Under fast-track, it is intended that offers will be made around January 2014.  Candidates will have two weeks to consider the offer of admission. If you are not given an offer under fast-track, your application may be considered further under the Main round.

10) When is the deadline for application?

The deadline for fast-track admission under the Non-JUPAS / International Admissions Scheme is November 15, 2013 (23:59 Hong Kong Time) while for main round exercise is December 30, 2013 (23:59 Hong Kong Time).

11) Can I submit a late application? What is the chance for admission?

Some of our undergraduate programmes may accept late applications with an additional charge of the application fee. Since priority is given to processing applications received on time, very limited places (at most 5% of the student places of each programme) would be available for late admission and only those applicants with exceptionally outstanding results would be considered.

12) Can I still apply if my examination results have not yet been released before the deadline for application?

You can still apply for admission to the University in September 2014, provided that you can satisfy the University's basic entrance requirements and submit your final examination results and any other required documents on or before August 20, 2014. You should submit the application form first before the deadline of application i.e. November 15, 2013 (23:59 Hong Kong Time) for fast-track applications and December 30, 2013 (23:59 Hong Kong Time) for main round admissions, and then send the examination results to the University as soon as possible.

Please indicate in the application the examinations and the subjects you will take, the expected date(s) of releasing the final results and the predicted grades / points by your school (if available), for preliminary consideration by the university.

13) Is there any quota for non-JUPAS applicants? How many students were admitted through the non-JUPAS exercise?

There are no fixed quotas for non-JUPAS applicants.  Around 900 first-year students were admitted through the Non-JUPAS scheme in the 2013 exercise.

14) Can I apply as a mature student?

If an applicant has reached 25 years of age on or before September 1 of the year in which admission is sought, he/she shall be deemed to have satisfied the University’s basic university entrance requirements. Please note, however, that satisfying the basic university entrance requirements does not guarantee admission as admission is on a competitive basis. Mature applicants have to submit their academic qualifications, working experience and other relevant supporting information for the consideration of the University.

15) Are there any other intakes apart from the September intake?

There is only one intake for undergraduate admissions in every September.

During application

1) Can I use a language other than English in the online application?

As stipulated in the instruction of the online application, the system only supports information provided in English. Please do not use languages other than English in the online application.

2) Should I be regarded as a local applicant or a non-local applicant?

According to the definition laid down by the University Grants Committee (UGC), if you require a student visa / entry permit issued by the Director of Immigration to study in Hong Kong, you will be regarded as a non-local applicant. Local applicants are those who do not require student visa to study in Hong Kong.

3) Can I apply for credit transfer or direct entry to Year 2 or 3?

You can apply for credit transfer and direct entry. Please indicate your preference on the application form. Credit transfer will be considered by the Faculty after you have been admitted to the University.

4) I am unable to pay the application fee online. What is the problem?

If you are unable to pay online, there are several possibilities and you may try to

  • enable cookies in your desktop;

See how to enable cookies in your browser at If the problem persists, you may probably have set some security level in your browser. In Internet Explorer, please click "Tools" > "Internet Options", choose the "Privacy" tab, click "Advanced" button, check "Override Automatic Cookie Handling", click "Accept", then "OK".

  • logout your application account and login again to check if your account has expired (an application account is valid for 14 days, or before the deadline of application, whichever is earlier);  
  • contact the credit card issuing bank to check if you need to obtain an authorization from the bank before you can do online transaction;
  • use another credit card to try again (please also check whether your card has expired);
  • use another browser, e.g. Firefox or Google Chrome, and try again;
  • delete temporary files, cookies on your internet. Please click "tools" > "options" > "History".

5) I have tried to pay the online application fee by credit card for several times. Will the University charge me for the unsuccessful attempts?

The University will only charge the application which has been successfully submitted to the University. All other transactions relating to unsuccessful submission of online application(s) will be cancelled by the University.

6) How can I know if my online application has been successfully submitted to the University?

After successful online payment of the application fee, a final report of your online application with an APPLICATION NUMBER will be displayed.  You will also receive a confirmation e-mail acknowledging the submission of your application through your registered e-mail account with the university. Please keep the confirmation e-mail and save a copy of the final report for your own record.

In case your submission of the online application is NOT successful, please login the admission account and submit the application again.

7) I have received the final report and an application number, but the transaction of the application fee is not shown in my credit card statement. Is my application successful?

Your application has been successfully submitted to the University if you have received the final report, an application number and an acknowledgement email after the online payment. The application fee will be charged from your credit card account normally within one month after the submission of application.

After application

1) I have completed an online application, what should I do next?

Please upload the following supporting documents to the University using the Online Document Upload System:

  • a photocopy of your HKID card / passport / National identity card / birth certificate
  • referee's report (Word formatpdf format) or reference letter, to be completed by your school principal or teacher, or by an academic referee (In the case that the referee report / reference letter is given to you by your school in a sealed envelope, please forward the report / letter to the Academic Services Office of the University by mail at Room G04, Run Run Shaw Building, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong. For reference letter, please arrange it to be sent with a cover page which specifies your full name, application number, date of birth and first choice of curriculum)
  • final / latest academic transcript(s) / examination results
  • public examination results in detail e.g. GCSE, HKCEE, including in the case of GCE AL / AS level, the Statement of Results which shows the numerical scores achieved
  • the predicted grade / point issued by the school, if applicable
  • (optional) a summary of not more than two A4-size pages of your extra-curricular activities / personal achievements / working experience / any other information which you feel will help the selection committee in considering your application.

You are not required to submit hard copy and / or certified copy of your documents to the University during the application stage. Should you be given an admission offer by the University, you will receive notification to submit certified copy of your documents.

Entrance scholarship is available to eligible applicants, more information is at

To get access to the Online Document Upload System and the Entrance Scholarship Application Form, please click here to login the admission account with your registered e-mail address and password. 

2) My referee has prepared a reference letter for me. Can I submit the reference letter instead of the standard HKU referee's report? Can I submit more than one reference letter / referee's report?

Yes, a reference letter is also acceptable. You can also submit more than one reference letter or referee's report.

3) What should I do if I cannot obtain a reference letter / report?

You are strongly advised to arrange for a reference letter / report to the University as it is required as part of your application. In case you have genuine difficulties in obtaining a reference letter / report, please specify your difficulties in writing and inform the University via the Online Document Upload System.

4) I am not able to login the admission account to access the Online Document Upload System / Entrance Scholarship Application Form. What should I do?

Please make sure that you use the same e-mail address and password to login the admission account as you did to access the online application.

If a blank page or the error code “Null” is returned by the system at login, the error may be associated to the setting of the internet browser. Please try to use another browser (e.g. Firefox or Google Chrome) or another computer for login. You may also follow the instruction available at for the installation of the up-to-date patch for IE. 

Please let us know by e-mail to <> with a snapshot of the error message if the problem persists.

5) I would like to make amendments to my uploaded documents. Can I remove the files that have already been uploaded to the Online Document Upload System?

Uploaded files could not be removed from the system.  You may arrange to upload the revised file(s) with a remark to supersede the earlier file(s), your latest document(s) will then be reviewed by respective Faculties.

6) When is the deadline for uploading my supporting documents?

The University will start reviewing applications when received. Applicants should upload their supporting documents to the University using the Online Document Upload System within two weeks after the submission of application or as soon as the updated results / transcripts are received during the year. Deadline for submission of supporting documents for admission in September 2014 is August 20, 2014.

7) How can I know if my supporting documents have been received by the University?

For documents submitted to the university via the Online Document Upload System, applicants can check in the system a summary of the file(s) that has / have been successfully uploaded and received by the university which lists the respective File type, File name, and the Date of submission of the file(s).

In the case that your referee's report / reference letter is submitted by mail, please check with the University on the receipt of the document by phone (852-2859 2433) or by e-mail ( two weeks after the report was sent as it takes some time for your document to reach the University and for processing, especially during the period close to the application deadline.

8) Can I retrieve / download submitted supporting documents via the Online Document Upload System?

No. Applicants are expected to keep their own archive of the uploaded documents.

9) What are the TOEFL, SAT and AP codes of The University of Hong Kong?

All are 9671.

10) Certified True Copy of Documents - What are they and when are they needed?

Should you be given an admission offer by the University, you will be required to submit certified true copy of your documents by mail or in person before your offer can be confirmed. 

Photocopy of your original documents, e.g. transcripts, examination results or, in the case of mature applicants, HKID card / passport / national identity card / birth certificate, must be certified by the issuing authority concerned or a school principal or a notary public (e.g. district office in Hong Kong). The name, status, and position of the person certifying the copies must be clearly stated. For documents supplied by universities and colleges, they should either bear the seal of the institution and be signed by an appropriate official or be sent to the University directly by the institutions concerned. A certified document is one which has been signed by the official after it has been photocopied.  For documents not in English, please also provide an official translation in English.  Please DO NOT send your original documents by post as the University is not responsible for any documents lost in the post.  Documents once submitted will not be returned, and will be destroyed if the application is unsuccessful.

If you are in Hong Kong, you may go to the Academic Services Office, Room G-04, Run Run Shaw Building, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong during office hours (Mon-Fri: 9a.m.-5:30p.m., Sat: 9a.m.-12:30p.m. Closed on Sundays, Public Holidays and University Holidays (i.e. Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve (p.m.), The day preceding Lunar New Year (p.m.) and Foundation Day (March 16)) bringing with you the original documents and one set of photocopy for our certification. 

11) How can I change the information and / or choice of curriculum in my online application after it has been submitted?

The application form you have submitted is considered as final. If you wish to make amendments to your application, please let us know the updates by e-mail to <> so that we can attach it to your application as additional information. Please note however that request to change your choice of curriculum will not be entertained after the submission of the application.

12) How can I check my application status?

Applicants may check their application status online at Non-JUPAS Applications Status from February 2013.

13) What should I do if I have forgotten my application number?

You may check your application number from the acknowledgement e-mail which was sent to your registered e-mail account with the University upon receipt of your application.

Alternatively, you may provide the University with the following information by e-mail to <> for our verification and checking:

  • Full Name in English (Family Name first)
  • Registered E-mail Address
  • Date of Birth
  • HKID Card / Passport / National ID Number as registered in the application
  • Choice(s) of Curriculum

14) Will I be granted interviews?

Faculties may invite candidates to attend interviews or entrance tests. However, not all candidates need to attend an interview / test and not all faculties conduct these assessments. Being invited to an interview / test is not an indicator of the chance of admission. Faculty staff will notify candidates the arrangement for interview / test by mail, e-mail or phone, if necessary.

15) When will I receive admissions offer from the University?

You will receive admissions offer from the University starting from January to the end of August 2014. However, if you are placed on a waiting list, you may not hear the result of your application until later. If you are unlikely to be offered a place, the University will try to let you know as soon as possible via the online application status system, in order to give you maximum time to make other plans.

16) My application status is still "Under Consideration" and I have received admissions offers from other universities. What should I do?

"Under Consideration" means that your application is still being considered and a final decision is yet to be made. The admission result will be announced by the end of August, the latest.

If you would like to enquire whether an earlier decision can be made in your case, please consult respective Faculty Office(s) using contact information at Contact Us.

17) Can I apply for scholarships?

Please refer to this webpage <> for information on Entrance Scholarship.  Enquiries on entrance scholarship can be made by e-mail to

The University administers a multitude of scholarships and prizes which are awarded on the basis of academic merit. Undergraduates can apply directly for scholarships which are advertised on the Faculty noticeboards and on the Student Intranet. For those scholarships which are not publicised, Heads of the applicable departments or Deans of Faculties will be invited to recommend suitable nominees for these awards.

Students are advised to periodically check the notices on the Faculty noticeboards and the e-notices on the University Intranet Systems via the HKU Portal for details on how to apply for the various scholarships during the year.

18) How can I apply for a student visa?

Overseas students must obtain a student visa to study in Hong Kong. The Hong Kong Immigration Department normally issues student visas to applicants enrolling a full-time course in the University. 

Overseas students should apply for a student visa at least two months in advance at the Chinese Embassy in their country of residence. All applicants should name the Centre of Development and Resources for Students as the visa sponsor. A cost recovery fee is charged for each application for visa sponsorship. Should you have any difficulties in submitting your visa application to the Chinese Embassy, please contact the Centre of Development and Resources for Students for advice.

Students from the Mainland should contact the China Affairs Office for information on visa application.

19) How can I apply for a place in a residential hall?

Once you are admitted, you can apply for a place in a residential hall. Each hall reserves a small quota of places for non-local students. Incoming non-local students should contact the Centre of Development and Resources for Students for assistance.

20) Where can I obtain information on student registration upon admission to the University?

The information will be available at at around mid-July.