Sino-British Fellowship Trust Visitorships
For Outgoing Visit

The Sino-British Fellowship Trust supports visitorships for academic staff and postgraduate students of the University of Hong Kong to undertake academic exchange or research visits to the United Kingdom and Mainland China.


  • The applicant should be full-time academic staff (including professor, associate professor, assistant professor, and post-doctoral fellow), or research postgraduate student of the University; and
  • The applicant should be over 25 years of age and in a good state of health.


The award will cover visits for a period of not less than one month and up to three months.

Financial Support

The level of financial support is subject to review by the Panel from time to time. The award will cover the costs of:

  • Travel expenses of a return trip in the most direct and economic way between the two places concerned;
  • A stipend during the period of visit (HK$16,000 per month for academic staff and HK$13,000 per month for research postgraduate student);
  • An allowance of HK$1,000 for incidental expenses for the entire duration of the visit; and
  • Visa application fee, if any.

Mode of Application

The applicant should liaise with the host institution beforehand, following which he/she should submit:

  • A completed application form (Download Here);
  • A detailed curriculum vitae;
  • A proposal giving details of the study or research to be undertaken; his/her general interests; the nature of the work he/she will take up on return to the University, and
  • An official invitation letter from the host institution confirming willingness to receive the applicant to carry out the proposed project.

All applications should be endorsed by Heads of Departments/Centres/Units concerned or Deans of Faculties if the applicant is the Head, and submitted to the China Affairs Office for the consideration of the Panel. Priority will be given to studies in the fields of arts and sciences which will help advance education for the public benefit.


June 30, 2016


Please contact China Affairs Office by email at or by phone at (852)2859 1137.