Application for Entry for Study in Hong Kong
For Mainland Students

Application Tips


Video Guidelines

How to complete online visa application                               How to fill in application forms


*If the video does not play, please try to use the latest version of the browser.

January 24, 2017

Important Notes

  • Mainland students are required to obtain a visa/entry permit from the Hong Kong Immigration Department (ImmD) for the purpose of studying in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (Hong Kong).
  • An applicant of such a student visa to Hong Kong for study purpose is required to nominate a local sponsor. Mainland students who will enter Hong Kong directly from Mainland China should request the China Affairs Office (CAO) to be their visa sponsor.
    *Non-local students with nationalities other than China, research postgraduate students, or Chinese nationals with residency in overseas, should request the Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) to be their visa sponsor.
    Please refer to CEDARS website for relevant application details.
  • Upon a visa/entry permit granted by ImmD, the visa/entry permit label is to be collected by CAO for onward transmission to the applicant. However, the visa/entry permit label will ONLY be sent to the applicant after he/she has submitted a copy of the signed Firm Admission Offer Letter to CAO.
  • Besides the visa/entry permit label, applicants should apply for an “Exit-Entry Permit for Travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macao”(EEP)【往来港澳通行证】and a relevant exit endorsement 【相關赴港簽注】from the Public Security Bureau 【備存其戶口登記的公安局】where his/her household registration is kept. This procedure will take approximately 2 weeks. All applicants MUST follow this procedure and entry into Hong Kong must be directly from Mainland China in order to activate his/her student visa.
  • To submit an application for entry for study, applicants should register a new account via a Online Visa Application System and must fulfill the application requirements as set out. An applicant is able to check their application progress in the online application system. Please Click Here to download the user guide of the System.

Steps for getting a visa/entry permit to study in HKU

Processing Time

  • The processing time of an application for entry for study in Hong Kong will require 10 weeks. The applicant is strongly advised to submit the application as soon as he/she has received either a Conditional Admission Offer or a Firm Admission Offer from HKU.
  • After the receipt of a visa/entry permit label, the applicant should reserve approximately 2 weeks to apply an EEP and relevant exit endorsement.

Duration of Stay

  • The duration of stay in Hong Kong should be the same as the period shown on the Admission Offer Letter. In normal situation, ImmD will grant the length of stay with the normal duration of study programme, subject to a maximum period of 6 years.
  • The applicant is advised to enter Hong Kong not more than 2 weeks before the programme commencement date for registration and/or participation in the University's orientation activities.
  • Part-time student and short term programme student, including visiting programme, summer programme and exchange programme, should leave Hong Kong immediately and return to Mainland China after completion of the study programme in HKU.

Application Fee

The application for entry for study in Hong Kong requires a non-refundable application fee of HK$900. An applicant can ONLY settle the fee by using the online credit card payment platform (Visa, Mastercard or China Unionpay).

List of Documents Required

New Visa Application – A first-time applicant applying for a visa for entry of study in Hong Kong

  • Application for Entry for Study in Hong Kong Form (ID 995A) (Download Here) (Sample Form);
    • Print page 1 - 4 on one side A4 white paper. Ensure the barcode is clearly shown at the bottom of each page.
    • Complete and submit all column on page 1 - 4 only (except part 3 on Page 2).
    • Sign on every page as required on the bottom right corner.
    • Affix one recent original photo according to the instruction shown on page 2. Printed photo is not acceptable.
    • CAO will not process and sponsor dependent visa application. Applicant may arrange visa(s) for his/her accompanying dependant(s) separately. For details, please refer to the Application for Residence as Dependants and Guidebook on ImmD website (Click Here)
  • Student Visa Sponsorship Form – For Application for Entry for Study in Hong Kong (Download Here) (Sample Form);
  • Letter of Guardian Nomination(If the applicant is under the age of 18) (Download Here)(Sample Form);
  • A photocopy of Firm Admission Offer Letter or Conditional Admission Offer Letter from HKU and signed reply slip;
  • A photocopy of PRC Identity Card;
  • A photocopy of Census Record【常住人口登記】;
  • A photocopy of financial proof;
    • ImmD is strict about the financial documents. Applicant must show to have an ability to afford the costs of education and living expenses in Hong Kong. To establish the evidence of financial resources, applicant should submit one of, or a combination of the following:
      (1) Proof of liquid assets;
      • Up-to-date bank records (bank statements or passbook or bankbook), and/or a personal certificate of saving/fixed deposit of your own/financial sponsor with a bank stamp.
      • Please note the wealth management products are not acceptable.
    • (2) Tax receipts and salary slips, employment letters;
      (3) Award letter of financial aid or scholarship.

    • There is no minimum requirement of the deposit amount. According to past experience, applicant should possess around RMB 100,000 - 150,000 for studies. However, this amount is for applicant's reference only. The final approval should be made by ImmD.
    • ImmD will not accept any on-line/website printed version of banking statement as the financial proof.
  • A photocopy of Census Record of applicant’s financial sponsor (If applicant has a financial sponsor);
  • Part-time Programme details (If the applicant is a part-time student);
    • It should at least include the following points: (1) Teaching timetable, and (2) Course description
  • Academic certificate (If the applicant is a part-time student);
  • Letter from applicant’s employer supporting applicant's study (If applicant is a part-time student).

Visa Re-application – An applicant who has applied for a visa for entry for study in Hong Kong before but would like to apply for a visa for entry of study again. (E.g. A student, who had completed an undergraduate programme, has to apply for a visa for entry of study again, if he/she has registered for a postgraduate programme in HKU.)

  • 1 – 11 documents listed above in “New Visa Application”;
  • A photocopy of Hong Kong Identity Card;
  • A photocopy of HKU Student Card;
  • A photocopy of your EEP
    • The photocopies of EEP must include the following three items: (1) Personal Particulars, (2) Visa/Entry permit label, and (3) Latest landing slip from ImmD stating that you are permitted to stay in HK as a student until DD/MM/YYYY

*If you are unable to provide a photocopy of HKID/UID/EEP, because you did not make application before, have damaged it, lost it etc, you should provide a Declaration of Missing Document (Download Here).

Visa Renewal – An applicant who will continue his study in HKU while his existing visa has expired. (E.g. A student whose visa has expired prior to the end of his/her leave of absence during the studies.)

  • 1 – 11 documents listed above in “New Application”;
  • 2 – 4 documents listed above in “Visa Re-application”;
  • Faculty/Department Confirmation Sheet on Student Status – For Visa Renewal (Download Here);
    • An applicant has to approach the Faculty Office of his/her study programme to confirm the study status, and request the designated officer from the Faculty to sign on the prescribed form.

External Links and Information


  • CAO will not be responsible for financial and any other loss arise from application failure or delay due to incorrect information or documents provided by the applicant.
  • All content in the website may be updated at any time without prior notice.

For enquiries, please contact us by email

Last update: 24 January, 2017