Application for Extension of Stay in Hong Kong
For Mainland Students

Important Notes

  • All mainland students who need to extend their period of stay in Hong Kong due to expiry of visa/entry permit or deferment of study are required to apply extension of stay in Hong Kong from the Hong Kong Immigration Department (ImmD) before their existing visa/entry permit expires.
  • Mainland students who apply an extension of stay in Hong Kong for study purpose should request the China Affairs Office (CAO) to be their visa sponsor.
    *Non-local students with nationalities other than China, research postgraduate students, or Chinese nationals with residency in overseas, should request the Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) to be their visa sponsor.
    Please refer to CEDARS website for relevant application details.
  • ImmD will normally accept application within 4 weeks before the expiry date of existing visa/entry permit. The applicant MUST be physically in Hong Kong at the time of submission and collection of new visa/entry permit label.
  • CAO will only issue a supporting letter to the applicant. He/She is required to submit in person the supporting letter, along with all other application documents to ImmD (Quality Migrants and Mainland Residents Section), to complete the application. For more information about the application procedures at ImmD, please visit the following website:
  • To submit an application for extension of stay, applicants should register a new account via a Online Visa Application System and must fulfill the application requirements as set out. An applicant is able to check their application progress in the online application system. Please Click Here to download the user guide of the System.

Application Procedure

Processing Time

It will normally take 2 to 3 weeks upon receipt of all necessary documents.

Application Fee

A non-refundable application fee of HK$190, which has to be paid to ImmD directly.

List of Documents Required

  • Application for an Extension of Stay Form (ID91) (Download Here);
    • ID91 form should be submitted to ImmD directly
  • Student Visa Sponsorship Application - For an Extension of Stay in Hong Kong (Download Here);
  • Faculty/Department Confirmation Sheet on Student Status – For an Extension of Stay in Hong Kong (Download Here);
    • You have to approach the Faculty Office of your study programme to confirm your study status, and request the designated officer from the Faculty to sign on the prescribed form.
  • A photocopy of Hong Kong Identity Card;
  • A photocopy of HKU Student Card;
  • A photocopy of pages of “Exit-entry Permit for Travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macao” (EEP)【因私《往来港澳通行证》】
    • The photocopies of EEP must include the following three items: (1) Personal Particulars, (2) Visa/Entry permit label, and (3) Latest landing slip from ImmD stating that you are permitted to stay in HK as a student until DD/MM/YYYY

*If you are unable to provide a photocopy of HKID/UID/EEP, because you did not make application before, have damaged it, lost it etc, you should provide a Declaration of Missing Document (Download Here)

After collecting the supporting letter from CAO, the applicant should submit in person the supporting letter, along with all other application documents to ImmD at“Quality Migrants and Mainland Residents Section, Immigration Department, 6/F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong”. An applicant is advised to make an appointment through the Appointment Booking Services to submit the application to ImmD in order to save time.

External Links and Information


All content in the website may be updated at any time without prior notice.

For enquiries, please contact us by email

Last update: 27 April, 2015