Application for Change of Study Programme
For Mainland Students

Important Notes

  • Mainland students will have to seek approval from the Hong Kong Immigration Department (ImmD) for changing his/her study programme. The application will only be approved provided that the applicant continues to fulfill eligibility criteria for study.
  • If a student did not seek approval from ImmD and need to extend his/her study, ImmD will not approve his/her extension of stay application in advance.
  • Mainland students should submit the application to the China Affairs Office (CAO).
    *Non-local students with nationalities other than China, research postgraduate students, or Chinese nationals with residency in overseas, should seek advice from the Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) via email at
  • To submit an application for change of study programme, applicants should register a new account via a Online Visa Application System and must fulfill the application requirements as set out. An applicant is able to check their application progress in the online application system. Please Click Here to download the user guide of the System.

Application Procedure

Processing Time

It will normally take 4 to 6 weeks for the whole application process.

List of Documents Required

  • Application for Approval for Change of Study Programme (Download Here);
  • Faculty / Department Confirmation Sheet on Student Status – For Change of Study Programme (Download Here);
    •  You have to approach the Faculty Office of your study programme to confirm your study status, and request the designated officer from the Faculty to sign on the prescribed form.
  • A photocopy of Official Programme Transfer Letter;
  • A photocopy of Hong Kong Identity Card;
  • A photocopy of HKU Student Card;
  • A photocopy of pages of “Exit-entry Permit for Travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macao” (EEP)【因私《往来港澳通行证》】
    • The photocopies of EEP must include the following three items: (1) Personal Particulars, (2) Visa/Entry permit label, and (3) Latest landing slip from ImmD stating that you are permitted to stay in HK as a student until DD/MM/YYYY

*If an applicant is unable to provide a photocopy of EEP, since he/she did not apply before, have damaged it, lost it etc, he/she should provide a Declaration of Missing Document (Download Here)

External Links and Information


All content in the website may be updated at any time without prior notice.

For enquiries, please contact us by email

Last update: 27 April, 2015