Application for Replacement of Visa/Entry Permit
For Mainland Students

Important Notes

  • Mainland students should apply for replacement of visa/entry permit from Hong Kong Immigration Department (ImmD) if the existing one is lost or damaged.
  • In the case of lost Exit-entry permit (EEP) which is affixed with his/her student visa in an area outside Hong Kong, he/she is required to first replace the EEP in the Mainland at the Public Security Bureau where his/her household registration is kept. At the same time, the applicant is advised to apply for a tourist visa (旅遊簽證) to enter Hong Kong for processing the student visa replacement in person at ImmD (Quality Migrants and Mainland Residents Section).
  • If the applicant has already entered/is staying in Hong Kong, he/she should first go to the Hong Kong Police to obtain a reported loss memo, then proceed to China Affairs Office (CAO) to collect the supporting letter, and finally go to ImmD to start the replacement formalities. Applicant should also go to the China Travel Service (Hong Kong) Limited, with the new visa/entry permit label issued by ImmD, to replace the relevant exit endorsement as well.
  • The applicant is strongly advised to submit the application as soon as he/she does not have a valid visa/entry permit. CAO will only issue a supporting letter to the applicant. Mainland students should request CAO to issue such supporting letter.
    *Non-local students with nationalities other than China, research postgraduate students, or Chinese nationals with overseas residency, should seek advice from the Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) via email at
  • To submit an application for replacement of visa/entry permit, applicants should register a new account via a Online Visa Application System and must fulfill the application requirements as set out. An applicant is able to check their application progress in the online application system. Please Click Here to download the user guide of the System.

Application Procedure

For applicant who has activated his/her visa/entry permit:

For applicant who has not yet activated his/her visa/entry permit:

Please contact us immediately by email

Processing Time

It may take 2 to 3 weeks for the whole application process.

Application Fee

A non-refundable application fee of HK$200, which has to be paid to ImmD directly.

List of Documents Required

  • Application for Replacement of Visa/Entry Permit (Download Here);
  • Faculty/Department Confirmation Sheet on Student Status – For Replacement of Visa/Permit (Download Here);
    • An applicant has to approach the Faculty Office of his/her study programme to confirm the study status, and request the designated officer from the Faculty to sign on the prescribed form.
  • A photocopy of reported loss memo;
    • No matter where you lose your visa/entry permit label, in Hong Kong or overseas, you should obtain a reported loss memo from the Hong Kong Police;
  • A photocopy of Hong Kong Identity Card;
  • A photocopy of HKU Student Card;
  • A photocopy of your “Exit-entry Permit for Travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macao” (EEP)【因私《往来港澳通行证》】
    • The photocopies of EEP must include the following three items: (1) Personal Particulars, (2) Visa/Entry permit label, and (3) Latest landing slip from ImmD stating that you are permitted to stay in HK as a student until DD/MM/YYYY

*If an applicant is unable to to provide a photocopy of HKID/UID/EEP, because you did not make application before, have damaged it, lost it etc, you should provide a Declaration of Missing Document (Download Here)

After collecting the supporting letter from CAO, the applicant should submit in person the supporting letter, along with all other application documents to ImmD at “Quality Migrants and Mainland Residents Section, Immigration Department, 6/F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong”. An applicant is advised to make an appointment through the Appointment Booking Services to submit the application to ImmD in order to save time.

External Links and Information


  • CAO will not be responsible for financial and any other loss arise from application failure or delay due to incorrect information or documents provided by the applicant.
  • All content in the website may be updated at any time without prior notice.

For enquiries, please contact us by email

Last update: 27 April, 2015